Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Unsung Heros

Recently, I listened to a beautiful and inspiring TED Talk by Karima Bennoune, titled "The Side of Terrorism That Doesn't Make Headlines".  (You can listen to it here).  The talk discusses the importance and heroics of the everyday acts of defiance that Muslims make against radical Islam.  She talks about the bravery of professors who continue to teach and students who continue to learn despite threats on their life.  She wisely notes that it is these people who need our support and our attention and who will eventually be responsible for the downfall of Islamic radicalism.  I will not pretend to understand the politics of the Middle East or make policy recommendations, but I will say that my experience in Guatemala has lead me to believe that education is always the answer and that change initiated by a people themselves is the only type of sustainable change that exists.

I listen to a lot of TED Talks and podcasts in a desperate attempt to maintain some connection to what is happening outside of my small village.   However, this one really stuck with me and I couldn't figure out quite why; all day I couldn't shake the feeling that her talk was the most relevant and important thing I had heard in a while.  Then, finally, it dawned on me.  The acts of heroism she mentions aren't so different than many of the acts of frequent, but certainly not ordinary, bravery that I see here in Guatemala.

No, there is no radical Islam in Guatemala, but there are plenty of other radical and oppressive notions - generally grouped under the title of "machismo".  Machismo is defined simply as, "strong or aggressive masculine pride", but I think is better described as "radical male privilege".  Machismo is part of life every day for every woman in Guatemala, including myself, and it has very real manifestations, ranging from: co-workers ignoring recommendations from women, to men hanging out their car to slap your ass as they drive by, to quite whispers of the word "puta" as you enter a room, and all the way to femicide.

In a culture that judges women by their ability to marry and have children, it would serve women well to acquiesce to the premise that women are created solely to serve men.  Frequently, due to either lack of empowerment or even awareness that there is another way to be treated, women do accept their role as second-rate members of society.  However, I have also seen amazing women break this mold and I have seen them be supported by inspiring men.

There are many college-educated women I have met who escaped homes of alcohol abuse and family violence.  The husbands of these women often endure jabs from friends and family who believe a woman's place is in the home  There are people all over the country who have lost the majority of their family in the genocide, but still find a way to continue and remain committed to their indigenous heritage.  There are young girls who sit at the front of the class and raise their hand with the right answer even when they know the result will be snickers from the boys in the back row.  There are women who can not read or write, but who manage the purse strings for their family.

I am still here today, a year and a half into my service, because I am proud to be a part of this union of women and men who wake-up everyday with a commitment to lead their best lives in the hope that future Guatemalans will have it a little bit easier.  It's overwhelming to think about the the systematic corruption, epidemic malnutrition, or rampant inequality that plagues Guatemala.  That existed long before I got here and will continue to exist long after I leave.  However, if enough of us commit to these everyday acts of defiance that Bennoune mentions, maybe it will be enough to turn the tides in Guatemala.

I recently spoke to a Christian missionary about the many different types of development work and development workers.  What we concluded during our conversation was that people have to stop telling other people how to act and just show them.  Guatemalan women have showed me time and time again the importance of just going on with your day after a man yells everything he can think of in order to make you feel worthless.  That in itself is an act of courage.

Big policy changes, announcements, and initiatives are important but I hope that I never forget that everyday so many unsung heros contribute silent defiance against oppressive ideologies and that makes a real difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment